How to convert XNAQ3Lib.dll to XNA 3.0

Dec 13, 2008 at 8:36 PM
I am trying to get the XNA quake 3 Lib running on XNA 3.0 in Visual Studio 2008, but I get some strange erros.
I get a System.Reflection.ReflectionTypeLoadException
My Guess is that It was compiled with XNA 2.0 and has some incompatibilities in XNAQ3Lib.dll and Q3BSPContentPipelineExtension.dll.

thanks
Developer
Dec 14, 2008 at 5:32 AM
Yeah, the latest version was made with XNA 2.0, and I haven't yet converted the project to XNA 3.0. I've been putting it off but I'll do that next now.
Developer
Dec 14, 2008 at 7:09 AM
Edited Dec 14, 2008 at 7:09 AM
Ok, I just did it. You can access a zip containing all the lastest versions of the dlls updated to XNA 3.0 on this page, at the bottom of the files list.

http://www.codeplex.com/q3libxna/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=18778

In between the last release and the next planned version there's been a namespace change. The file XNAQ3Lib.dll is now XNAQ3Lib.Q3BSP.dll. I don't think the implementation changed at all though. You'll also get the new stuff added since the last version, like blendfunc support. Let me know if it works right.
Dec 15, 2008 at 5:51 PM
Thanks a lot,
This was really fast...
Now it compiles, but at runtime I get a "Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ContentLoadException":
{"Error loading \"shaders\\xnaq3lib\". Cannot find ContentTypeReader Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Content.ListReader`1[[XNAQ3Lib.Q3BSP.Q3BSPMaterial, XNAQ3Lib.Q3BSP, Version=0.3.1.2, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null]]."}

I used the project settings as described in your basic tutorial.

Developer
Dec 16, 2008 at 5:20 AM
I tried to recreate your error but the tutorial produced a working project. At the moment I can't think of a reason why it couldn't find a reader . Can you send me a zipped version of your project? My email is craigsniffen@craigsniffen.com.
Developer
Dec 16, 2008 at 8:25 AM
Nevermind, I was able to reproduce it. The problem is that between in the next version, a new step, ShaderContentProcessor, is needed. On the xnaq3lib.shader file, open its properties and change the "Content Processor" to "XNA Q3 Library Shader Processor". That should fix your problem.
Dec 21, 2008 at 2:34 PM
Sorry that it took me so long to give it a try.
After recompiling the library with the latest source code the project is now running.

Thanks a lot for your help.